Sunday, December 19, 2010

A little soggy...


Hi All! How was your weekend? Good! Well, this weekend was suppose to kick off my campaign to getting back to logging some serious time on the bike. Sure, the aptly named "Pineapple Express" rolled in to town straight from Hawaii, and the forecast was for some serious rain, but I didn't plan on letting that stop me. After all, Boulevard is just around the corner, and the forecast for that race is never pretty.

Saturday I was up and at em' early, and on the bike by 8:30. I managed to get in a nice 2:40 minute ride, with only the last two hours in the pouring rain. Interesting thing, I really enjoy riding in inclement weather. I always have, I just tend to avoid it because of the necessary clean up after the ride. It's not like you can come home and hand your bike off to your personal mechanic like Lance! But, when there's an important race just around the corner, and that race usually consists of bad weather, it's a great idea to train in it. Just that much more advantage over the competitors who choose to stay home. What's funny, is in that 2:40 ride, I saw only six other cyclists. San Diego is definitely full of a lot of fair weather riders!

Today, not so good. The weather was much worse then yesterday, but I was still itching to get out and log a good four hours. I was on the road again by 8:30, and before I could get out of the neighborhood, I went to shift my bike in to the 27-tooth cog, the chain jumped over the sprocket and in to the spokes. I continued pedaling before I realized what had happened, damaging a link in the chain! Needless to say, about every two pedal strokes the chain would jump significantly, making the ride extremely annoying. I made my way to my in-laws house in Elfin Forest thinking maybe I could repair it, but when I arrived and assessed the problem, I realized it was hopeless. Back home. 1:15 pedaling time. Not really worth getting soaked for, but better then nothing I suppose.

Down to Bailey's house tonight for a new chain, some new team socks, back home for dinner and a movie with the wife. Not a bad day considering how it began. Hope all is well, and best wishes to you all! Until next time...

No comments: