Saturday, November 13, 2010

For Robert & Judy...




Hi All! Well today I competed in the Santiago Canyon Time Trial. This is still one of my favorite events of the year, at least as time trials go. Since I haven't been on my TT bike since April, I decided to just run the course on my road bike. It's not the worst decision to make, since there is quite a bit of climbing on the course, but if you're really concerned about running the fastest possible time, a TT bike is needed.

Needless to say, I entered the Cat 4 category, and my only goal of the day was to break 30-minutes for the 11-mile run up Santiago Canyon Road. I managed to pull out a 29:10, which was good enough for 3rd place, and a bronze medal. Funny story about the medal. In the four years I've raced this event, I've never stayed around for the awards ceremony. I've finished in the top five a handful of times, and came close to winning once. Today as usual, I packed the car up and walked over to check the results. My wife, goddaughter, friend, and I, stayed for the awards ceremony, and watched as all the categories were called, and the medals were given out. We noticed the 4/5 category wasn't mentioned, I told my wife they probably did that category first. No big deal, I said...let's go get lunch! As we walked away, my friend decided to hang back and ask. Sure enough they did do the 4/5 awards first, and they gave out medals to the top three finishers. THE BRONZE!!! Makes me wonder how many medals I left behind at this event!

Today's race officially marked the end of my season! Now it's riding to just keep a decent base, keep the weight down, and enjoy the scenery. Then, December will be all about base miles and endurance. January the intensity will work its way back in to the program, all in hopes to be fit, fast, and ready for Boulevard, the tradiitonal first race of the new season! Tomorrow's plan...not sure yet, but at least three good hours in the saddle. Hope all is well, until next time...

No comments: