Sunday, January 8, 2012

Figuring it out...


Hi All! How have you been? It's been work, train, and rest, pretty much in that order. The new job at Walz Caps has been wonderful! Sitting at a desk, researching on the PC, emailing and talking to people about cycling all day. A far cry from running a restaurant and washing dishes! I think being off my feet most of the day has really helped improve my performance on the bike significantly. An added bonus!

On the training front, things have been going great. A return to structured training has been exactly what I needed. Don't get me wrong, off-season is nice, but I prefer to have a routine. The usual schedule looks something like this...

* Monday: Rest
* Tuesday: 2x20 sweet spot intervals
* Wednesday: 60-min endurance
* Thursday: 2x20 sweet spot intervals
* Friday: 30-min recovery & core workout
* Saturday: 4-5 hrs open
* Sunday: hill repeats
* 3 week blocks followed by a rest week.

Of course I allow myself some flexibility on this schedule to keep things fresh.

I titled this entry "figuring it out". Why you ask? Well, this morning in the shower (where all my great thoughts take place), I realized that the reason I've been experiencing difficulty figuring my season and it's goals out, has been because I've been struggling with the thought that in order to be a true "racer" in cycling, I needed to compete in all the usual events. Boulevard, San Luis Rey, etc. I have enjoyed those races in the past, but every year I competed in them, I enjoyed them less and less. Why?

I've come to the realization that I just don't like big pack races anymore. After racing the Death Valley Stage Race my views really became conflicted when it came to racing. I absolutely loved that event! Hands down the best race I've ever competed in. Not because I won, but because it was perfect in every sense. The terrain, the people, the vibe...everything. I prefer small, but highly competitive packs.

Another reason for my lack of enthusiasm in these events is they're basically one-day classics. The big, strong power riders definitely have an advantage. Skinny little climbers like me suffer badly. It's stage races I prefer. I love the strategy one must employ to do well in them. It's not an all-out balls to the wall speed fest as classics are and should be.

So, needless to say, I'm at peace now, I know what it is I'm going to train for, and the type of training that involves. My season won't be full of races just for racing's sake, but rather specific events that I will attempt to peak for every time, and with some luck, will do well in. I'm pretty sure I used this inspirational slogan last year, but failed to follow through, but..."All roads lead to the Everest Challenge!"

That's it for now. I hope you're all having a great New Year so far, and I'm hopeful as we all are, that 2012 will be an improvement over 2011. Until next time...

No comments: