Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fast forward...


Hi Everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts lately, I've just been as busy as a one-armed paper hanger! I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this here, but I've been in the process over the last 6-8 months, of starting a new business. Totally from the ground up, which means I've been learning by fire, and it's steadily been keeping me busier and busier. I told myself when I began this project, that I was going to do everything possible to keep my day job at the restaurant, go back to school at night, keep my training and racing going, and tackle a new start-up. I believed then, and still do, that it's possible to do all that. I did however say though, that if the new start-up really begin taking off, that I'd be willing to hang up the racing shoes for awhile to make a go of it.

I must be honest and say, that most of my adult life has been fairly easy and laid back. That's not to say there hasn't been challenges, but I've intentionally designed my life to be fairly stress free, and have avoided major responsibilities for the most part. I've never considered it laziness by any means, I was just a single guy with simple needs. Well, over the last ten years that's all changed!

I met a wonderful woman with whom I fell in love with and married. We became small business owners eight years ago. We became home owners six years ago. And now, I'm attempting to start another business. We don't have kids, not because we haven't wanted any, it just hasn't been in the cards for us yet. So needless to say, my life, and my responsibilities have changed drastically!

You can say I'm sort of doing things backwards, but I don't believe there's a concrete way of doing things in life. We're all different, and arrive at destinations in our lives via different routes, and a lot of times, we don't have control of those destinations. But since I've decided to make these changes in my life, and I'm no longer a young kid, it's time for me to step up and contribute as much as possible to the life I enjoy. I don't believe that means one has to give up everything they enjoy, and condemn themselves to a life of work, work, work, but some reorganization of my priorities are required.

These last two weeks are making me realize what that may mean. I've found it somewhat difficult to get out on the bike and put the hours in I'm accustomed to. It's been more short, intense, trainer workouts in the garage, and that's been mainly due to the new business. It's been consuming more and more of my time, and I know that a new business can do that in the beginning (I remember the early cafe days!). And it's extremely important to keep your focus on a business in its infancy. These are the times that really can make or break it.

So, needless to say, I'm not sure what that means for my training & racing, but I promise I'll do my best to keep it going! I truly hope you're all doing well out there, and I can't wait to post another race report soon. Next up on the racing calendar, I'll be heading back up to Palos Verdes to compete in the Peninsula Clif Climb TT on the 27th, then it's the Santiago Canyon TT on the 12th of March, then the Vless Huis Ronde RR on the 8th of April, and Devil's Punchbowl on the 23rd of April, followed by San Luis Rey on the 30th. That's the schedule for now, beyond that, I'm not sure. Until next time...

No comments: