Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Anxious times...


Hi All! How are you? Good here. It's another beautiful day in sunny San Diego! I hate to rub it in to others who may not be so fortunate to have the weather we have here, but it really has to be the best in country. Of course there are downfalls to living in this paradise, it comes with a cost, literally! Anyway, on to the reason for this post...

I have my first race of the season this Sunday, the 30th, up in Palos Verders. It's a 6-mile, uphill TT, and even though it's really only a "C" race on my personal calendar, I'm still itching to pin on a number and give it a go! Six days after that, February 5th, is when the the action really heats up. Boulevard!!!

This blog really serves as an outlet for me to keep a journal of sorts, documenting my racing, training, and just overall general experiences on the bike. After my interval session yesterday, I was sitting in a chair in my backyard reflecting on just how much I love the sport of cycling.

It's really difficult to put in to words...the sights, sounds, smells, and sensations that I've accumulated through the last ten years in this sport have been priceless. I'm not a religious person by any means, but I do believe in God, and have always thought that it doesn't require going to church and sitting in a pew every week to truly appreciate the life we've been given. My pew? The saddle of my bike. My church? The roads I pedal on. I NEVER take for granted what I've been given, and more often then not, find myself in complete awe at the wonderful things I witness on my rides. There are rides that to this day will stick in my memory forever. Rides I wouldn't trade for anything.

The wonderful people I've met through this sport have been nothing short of life changing. You can't put a price on friendship. There's something really special about a group of people who share a common bond, something that is appreciated and loved with a passion. There is so much mutual respect for one another in cycling, the knowing wave of a hand, or nod of a head as riders pass each other. Words aren't needed.

I truly hope that I'll never lose the passion that I have for the sport. That after I've decided my days of competing are over, I'll still want to get out and hit the roads, if for anything, just to enjoy why I began riding in the first place. If anyone out there reading this has never given cycling a try, please do. Go out, rent or borrow a bike, and see what all my fuss is about. You may find it's not your cup of tea, but I really doubt you'll regret giving it a chance. And if you need someone to guide you along the way, I'm always more then happy to share my enthusiasm! Until next time...

1 comment:

Third of 9 said...

Good luck this season Matt!