Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unofficial, but good...


Hi All! Well last week's post was all about ramping up, and this week, just the opposite. I wasn't intending to take an easy week, in fact this coming week was suppose to be the easy week, but a cold, and a session of strength training changed all that.

The good news is the cold is just about gone, barely any trace left. I kept riding the bike while I had it, knowing it was just a head cold, and was sure to keep it under control so it didn't spread to my chest.

Tuesday was a day of work followed by a 30-minute ride on the Bailey "Time Machine", followed by a strength training session in the gym. I know I said I was going to stay away from weights in the past, but this workout didn't really consist of lifting weights in the traditional sense. It was more holding weights while I performed various exercises. Needless to say, the exercises were effective, so much so that I was so sore the next three days I could barely walk. Needless to say, that didn't carry over to the bike very well at all! After attempting to get a hard 90-minute ride in Wednesday, which was followed by a sleepless night spent coughing, enough was enough!

I decided to take Thursday, Friday, and Saturday completely off from any form of exercise, not counting the eight hours I spent helping my Mom move Saturday. Serious recovery was in order! Fortunately that was just what I needed.

So today I awoke at 5:30am, showered, ate, loaded the car, and made the 80-minute drive down to Pine Valley to compete in the SDBC (San Diego Bicycle Club) Kitchen Creek Road Race as a guest rider. I'm horrible at taking a head count of groups of people, but I'd guess there were about twenty riders who showed up. I'm not going to go in to any great detail about the race since it was an unofficial event, but I managed to pull out a 4th place finish, and considering how my week of training as gone, I'm more then pleased with the result. A BIG thanks to Mike Holcomb who put the event on, and a BIG thanks to SDBC for allowing guests such as myself to join in their event. My plan was to try for a high finish, and use this opportunity to get reacquainted with the East County mountains before the Omnium RR in about two weeks. Mission accomplished!

This coming week...train hard. Short, but hard 2-hour rides after work up until Friday. I know it was suppose to be an easy week, but considering I only managed to get five hours on the bike this week, and the only race I have this upcoming weekend is the Santiago Canyon TT, which is just 30-minutes of all out effort, I need to log all the time I can before the RR's are here! Besides it's just a "B" race on my calendar, more of a high-intensity workout then anything.

That's about all for now. Hope you all were able to get out and enjoy this beautiful San Diego weekend. Absolutely gorgeous, give or take a little wind! Until next time...

No comments: