Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tired, but good...


Hi All! How's everyone's weekend going? Had another good one myself. Nothing new to report on the work front. Managed to get in another solid week of trianing, and the form is beginning to come around.

Did a nice 2-hour easy spin on Monday out to the coast and back, just clearing the legs out from Saturday and Sunday's beat down. Took Tuesday off to rest. Wednesday did some extremely difficult hill intervals over on San Elijo Road (such a gem of a road for repeats or intervals). I feel lucky to live so close to it! One time up Twin Oaks Valley Road at a nice easy pace to get the legs warmed up. Then three times up San Elijo Road (about 2-miles from top to bottom), keeping the gas on all the way (170+bpm's all the way up). Then to cap it off, a run up to Double Peak Park, easily one of the most incredible views in all of San Diego County, and a heck of a climb hitting 19% at one point. If you've never been there, you really owe it to yourself to go. Another 2-hour easy spin out to the coast and back Thursday to clear the legs out, then rest Friday. Saturday, due to the rain I opted to ride on the trainer for 60-minutes, with three sets of intervals. One at 20-minutes, 150-160bpm's, then two 5-minutes efforts at 170+bpm's.

Today, a 5-hour ride from the house to the summit of Palomar Mountain. Always a ride that leaves little left in the legs! The weather was incredible! After yesterday's storm, the air was crisp and clean. Mark Palmer, John Bailey and myself, met up at the base of Lake Wohlford Road, climbed that, headed down Valley Center Road to Highway 76. All the way out to Palomar you could see a cloud blanket sitting at the base of the mountain, and sure enough, as soon as I hit the 3000 foot mark, it was like riding in to another world. Visibility went down to about 50 feet, and the temperature really began to drop. By the time I reached the 5000 foot mark, snow began to show on the sides of the road, at around 5100 feet, I broke through the clouds in to bright sunshine. I decided not to hang out long on the top, 40 degrees!. I stopped in front of Mother's Kitchen, put my leg warmers back on, gloves back on, zipped up the vest, and headed back down the mountain for what was one miserable descent! COLD!!! Rode strong and felt good throughout the ride, so I'm hoping that's a sign that I'll be ready for the upcoming races.

Next race on the calendar, the Santiago Canyon TT, March 6th. A "B" race in my book, so I'm not going to concern myself too much with my result, although I'm hoping for a top ten. Going to run it on my road bike seeing as how I have no TT bike now since selling it to purchase the mountain bike.

Hope all is well with everyone. Until next time...

No comments: