Monday, February 22, 2010

Another solid weekend...


Hi All! How's life treatin you? Good here at the moment. So I was suppose to report back to Federal Jury Duty this last Thursday, but after attending for one day, getting selected to the jury, actually finding the process interesting, my wife and I decided that given the current downturn in our business, there's no way we can afford to not have me there and pay someone else to work in my place. I called my jury foreperson on Monday to let him know I would not be there Thursday, and then called and spoke to the jury director (for lack of a better word), and explained to her my situation. She informed me that the only way to get released from serving is to write a letter to the judge, and then it's up to her whether or not I get released from serving the next eighteen to twenty four months of my life! I honestly would look forward to serving if I didn't have a business to save. Well needless to say, after not going this last Thursday, I received a voicemail from the jury director wondering why I didn't show Thursday! What! I called. Does this mean there's a warrant for my arrest out there now!!! On to the bike...

So I've been riding all week with stitches in my arm which really hasn't set my training back all that much. I just have to remember to hold the bars lightly or let go all together when I see a large bump approaching. The stitches come out this Thursday or Friday, so a minor injury in the big picture. I did decide however not to go race out in Imperial. I figured the last thing I wanted was to chance falling on an already stitched up arm, or have to ride guarded making sure another rider doesn't bump forearms with me during the race. Not worth the two hour drive!

I had a really solid weekend of training though. Five hours on the bike Saturday with my friends Mark, John, and Romero, through the hills of Highland Valley and Ramona. Pouring rain, hail, and low temps made for a memorable day. That and some high-intensity climbing made for one tired boy Saturday night! Sunday a really cool experience!


Received an invite to ride with the Jelly Belly Pro Cycling Team this Sunday. John Bailey and I met them at the resort they're staying at for their Winter Training Camp, and rolled out with them shortly afterwards. I haven't had an opportunity to meet many pros, and definitely not a chance to ride with them, but the Jelly Belly guys are some of the nicest riders I've met in the sport. They made us feel welcomed, and made it a point to chat with us as we made our way down the road. The pace was very manageable for the first hour or so. Then about an hour in to the ride the group of about fourteen of us split in to two, the front group continuing up the road, while our group pulled off the side of the road. A couple of the riders explained that they were going to pick up the pace, nothing too hard, just a medium intensity, and that they would also be doing some paceline work. John and I decided that it would be best for us to just hang in the back and stay out of their way while they went about their work. A great chance for us to observe and pick up some pointers.

Well needless to say, their "medium" hill pace, is this Cat 4's high-intensity pace! The five-hour ride through the rain, hail, and hills of North County chasing John, (who's a Cat 1), the day before, probably didn't help! I slowly slipped off the back while John managed to stay with the guys. My heart rate was 180+, and the wind breaker I was wearing was really heating me up. All along the ride the team photographer was pulled off the side of the road snapping pictures as we rode by. As I rode by her coming up the hill, alone, I gave out a quick "hello". I'm sure she saw the suffering on my face, and I was glad there wasn't any of the pros with me at that point for her to get another picture! I managed to latch back on with the group as they turned around, but didn't last very long again when they hit the flats and the pace went back up. I can say, it was really cool to see how well they worked together to stay out of the wind, working as a tight unit.

After getting dropped again, I decided that I'd had enough, pulled off the side of the road, shed the wind breaker, and at that point realized how hot I had gotten by how wet my jersey was. I began slowly pedaling towards home, spinning in low gears, trying to clear my legs out. Eventually John caught up to me and we talked all the way back about the experience, marveling at how fast and smooth pros are on the bike. Definitely something I won't forget! A BIG thanks to the team for letting us train along with them! I'll try and post some pics if possible.

Hope all is well with everyone. Be safe, and I'll talk to you soon! Until next time...

No comments: