Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Getting close...


Hi All! Why is it that I get so anxious the week before the Boulevard Road Race? Is it because it's the first race of the season? Is it because the race is so damn hard? Is it because the weather is sure to be crappy in one way or another (forecast for race day...high of 50, with showers!). Who knows, it's probably all of the above.

The good news is my fitness is well above what it was this time last year. I did get my usual cold in December as I always do, but this year I was smart, and took time off the bike to rest, preventing the cold from turning in to bronchitis as it did last year. My training has been solid, and I have high hopes of placing well. If I don't, I won't be too upset, I always seem to find my form way too late in the season, (ie September). That never helps me much considering most of the races are early in the season.

I finshed my last hard training block before Boulevard this last Sunday by riding the race course with my friend Mark. We rode two full laps, the first mellow, and then we pushed it harder the second lap. The course is in great shape, at least as great as one can expect in the hills of East County. The back half of the course, the descent, other known as Highway 94, has been completely repaved, which is sure to keep the speeds high this year. Maybe the rain will keep that in check?

As I'm sitting here writing this, I have the news on in the background. The weatherman just gave the forecast for the week through Saturday. Cold, wet, and windy Saturday, especially in the mountains as the first El Nino storm enters the area! What to do??? Until next time...

No comments: