Saturday, August 14, 2010

Milestone...


Hi All! Well, check another goal off the list. Today was one of those training rides where everything just falls in to place perfectly. I wasn't sure exactly where I was going to ride to when I woke up, but eventually decided on heading out to Palomar Mountain. I left the house about 8am, and made my way through Escondido, eventually winding up at the base of Lake Wohlford Road. It was at this point that I decided to really turn this ride in to something big. My goal for the day, something I've been wanting to do for awhile, but for some reason or other, never got around to doing. 100 miles, with 10,000ft of climbing.

Knowing this, I wisely decided not to push the pace too hard for the majority of the ride. A ride this difficult, especially when you're alone and it's hot out, should always be ridden at a pace you know will get you back home! I made my way up Wohlford, down Valley Center Road, stopped at the market at the base of Palomar for a restroom break, Gatorade, and a gel, then began the long slog up Highway 76 to South Grade Road. I didn't concern myself with my time up the mountain, again, just holding a nice steady pace to the top.

I reached the summit, stopped in the market for another Gatorade, and downed a Clif Bar, hopped back on the bike and started down East Grade Road. As soon as I reached the bottom at Highway 76, I stuck the Oakleys in the helmet, unzipped the jersey, turned around, and started back up East Grade.

I was holding a nice, steady pace, and reached the summit in about an hour, but feeling pretty hungry. I decided to stop in at Mother's Kitchen and order a Fried Egg sandwich. I spent about fifteen minutes inside eating, filled the bottles at the soda fountain, hopped back on the bike, and made my way down South Grade Road.

My least favorite part of this ride is always the climb back up Valley Center Road. It's not that the climb is hard, it's because the road is in terrible condition, and there's not much of a shoulder to ride on. Today was no exception, although I will say the climb back up was a bit more difficult then usual given the fact I had just climbed both South and East Grade Roads, and the weather was on the warm side.

Eventually I arrived back home, after 6 hours and 45 minutes of pedaling, 100-miles, and 10,006ft of climbing! Excellent!

Tomorrow? A 4-hour, Cat 1 tempo pace ride with John Bailey and Mark Palmer! We'll see how long I last! Hope all is well! Until next time...

3 comments:

Eric said...

Wow, that's a big day. They'd be scooping me up off the pavement with a spatula after 70 or so miles of that sort of action.

Matt Marshall said...

I was tired when I arrived back at the garage! My confidence is great right now though. I went out Sunday with Bailey, Cat 1 tempo ride, 79 miles, and 6000ft, and was able to hang on his wheel for the majority of the ride! Time for a rest week! How's the training coming along, and when are we going to get out and ride again?

Eric said...

I'm pretty much ready any time. I've been doing some good base miles, along with some force work in the hills and some speed and tempo work on the rollers.

I don't have a lot of anaerobic fitness, but I'm good for reasonably long rides. I'd need to have sag or one of Floyd's "nutrition packs" in my back pocket to do something like that 100 mile ride with you though.