Friday, August 20, 2010

It's official...


Hi All! Well, it's official, I just registered for the 25th anniversary of the
Mt. Charleston Hill Climb! This event truly is my favorite race of the season, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the Death Valley Stage Race may take its place on my list, we'll see. If you've never raced in this event, I highly recommend it. It's very well organized, and the ride and scenery itself is just awesome. I will say though, if you really despise climbing, avoid this event at all costs! 17.5 miles of all climb, starting at the base of the mountain on the desert floor, and climbing up to the ski resort at the top. The goal this year?

To WIN of course! The last time I raced Charleston, was in 2008. Unfortunately something prevented me from making it to the event last year, can't remember what it was, but I do remember being really bummed. Back in 08', I finished 6th in my category (4), and as usual Matt Sheremeta from Celo Pacific won. I believe he's won the event since 07' as far as I know. This year I hope things play out differently.

Both years I've raced this event, the race played out the same way. The whistle was blown, and the leaders took off immediately, setting a hard pace, shedding the rest of the field in the first few miles of the climb. In 08' I stayed on their wheels as long as I could, but eventually couldn't hold the pace, fell off the back, and settled in at my own pace, (which is really all you can and should do while tackling a long climb). I was able to stay away from the rest of the field for the 6th place finish. This year however, I'm twenty pounds lighter then I was in 08', and have been training with much more purpose, discipline, and focus then I ever have. After last months San Elijo Time Trial, where I finished 2nd, just sixteen seconds behind Sheremeta, I'm convinced my chances of a win this year at Charleston are much higher.

As for the Death Valley Stage Race, I really don't know what to expect in the way of a finish, but after seeing the Cat 4 field was just four riders this last June, I'm pretty sure a win isn't out of the question. I really believe you have to visualize having a good result, before you can actually have one. I've heard too many racers over the years, talk themselves down during their training rides, and some even telling themselves and everyone around them at the starting line of races, that they're going to basically have a low finish before the race even starts! Why bother lining up?

Anyhow, hope all is well out there, and hope everyone is able to get out and hit the roads this weekend! Until next time...

No comments: