Sunday, November 8, 2009

Something new...


Hi All! So I haven't been sleeping well lately. This happens when I'm unable to shut my mind down at night. And that usually is a result of a change in my life. What is it this time you ask? Mountain bike! Yes, that's right, you heard me. I decided to take the plunge and hit the dirt again.

My first adventures on two wheels came in the form of BMX bikes back in the mid-eighties. From there, my passion for being on two wheels evolved in to motorcycles. I rode motorcycles until the ripe old age of nineteen, grew bored with it, sold everything, and took a long break from the world of two wheels for quite awhile. Back in 1998, I decided to purchase a mountain bike from Target, (I know, I know!), and rode occasionally, but nothing serious, (obviously nothing serious on that bike!).

Then one day about a year after that, my cousin called and invited me to go on a mountain bike ride with him. Sure, why not! I, on my high-end Target special. He, on his $3000 Santa Cruz. Of course it wasn't long in to the ride that my curiosity took over, and I found myself navigating the trails aboard the Santa Cruz. BIG FINANCIAL MISTAKE!!! Since that day, I've sunk more money in to mountain bikes, and road bikes, that I'm sure if totaled up, would make me cry!

Well needless to say, for the last ten years it's been all about road bikes for me. And I've loved every minute of it, and still do. But...lately I've found myself getting a little burnt out so to speak. Maybe it's been the lack of racing, or maybe it was too much racing last season, but what ever the reason, I need a change.

Over the last two weeks, I've managed to travel to a couple of cyclocross races to watch some friends tear it up. This has ignited a spark in me to return to the dirt. Not cyclocross though! I have no desire to be forced off my bike to have to run and jump over barriers and any other man-made obstacles that stand in my way. I never raced mountain bikes back when I did ride them, but now that I've raced over sixty races on the pavement, I'm not as intimidated as I was back then, that, and I've discovered the unequaled joys that one can only get from racing.

So here is my latest toy. Picked it up yesterday used from a nice guy in Corona. Not the lightest rig out there, but that will give me something to work on, that and relearning how to even ride in the dirt again. I can't wait!!! Until next time...

1 comment:

Eric said...

She's looking sweet!