Sunday, October 25, 2009

Whipped!!!


Hello All! So, what's the hardest ride in San Diego you ask? DE LUZ!!! Of course this is just one man's opinion, but De Luz has kicked my A#! both times I've ridden it! The usual answer to that question is typically Palomar Mountain, and that WAS my answer until I rode De Luz today for the second time ever. I needed to ride it at least twice before I was convinced of its ability to punish any and all who dare to tackle its hills. Here's the catch...

Although Palomar is a longer climb (12 miles), without any reprieve whatsoever, this is actually what makes it easier then De Luz. The fact that there is no let up on the slopes, no place to coast, or spin out the legs, allows you to get in to a rhythm. As most climbers know, this is the secret to climbing well, or again, at least in my opinion. You shouldn't fight the climb. You shouldn't fight your bike. All too many times, while I'm riding with partners who aren't good climbers, or who dread climbing all together, I hear them battling with their bikes. Constantly shifting gears, trying to find the perfect gear or cadence, when they should just find a gear they're able to stay on top of, settle in, and find a good rhythm. De Luz doesn't allow this to happen.

Steep, short, punchy hills, followed by steep, and all too short descents that don't allow time to recover. Over and over again. And once who've entered the canyon, there's no easy way out, you're committed. Ride numbers for the day...

5.5 hrs
86 miles
5100 calories burned
137 average bpm
192 max bpm
79rpm average cadence

The end result? Whipped!!!! Until next time...

No comments: