Thursday, October 8, 2009

???


Hello All. Ok, I'm having a problem. I cannot seem to get psyched up to race lately. Of course I haven't raced since last May at the State Championship TT's, where I had a great time, but that was then. There's a race coming up this Saturday, the Santiago Canyon TT, a race I love, but somehow I just can't seem to get my head in to it.

I'm still thinking that maybe when there's too much going on outside of my "cycling" bubble, it's just too hard to focus on the bike. I suppose this is how it should be, cycling after all, is just a hobby. Still, it's a hobby that keeps me sane in a world that's anything but.

I'm leaning towards skipping the race Saturday in lieu of just going for a nice long ride (maybe Palomar), and then heading up to Anaheim Sunday with the guys for another nice long ride back down to Solana Beach. There is another Santiago race November 14th, who knows, maybe I'll be more in to then?

Sorry for the lack of interesting posts, but there really hasn't been much going on other then work, and some riding. I promise something more interesting next time! Until next time...

1 comment:

Eric said...

I don't think that your struggles are unique to you. Since the down turn in the economy here's what I've seen in my professional life:

1. A smaller workforce due to layoffs, attrition and hiring freeze.
2. Just as much work to do. Things still need to get done, systems still fail, users still need support, etc.
3. Increased pressure from management on just about everything. Everything is now under the microscope, so you've got to apply yourself even more diligently to doing your job right.
4. Burn out, all of the proceeding factors really start to wear on you. When you're done with work you want to chill out, relax, sleep, get away from it all, etc.; not clock in to your amateur career as a bike racer.

I'm finding that the key here is to use riding as that down time get away. If you don't have the energy to race or do hard training rides, maybe do what does recharge you, go on one of your long rides and just chill out.

And BTW, I'm starting to do better on long rides these days. If you're looking for a riding partner let me know.