Sunday, September 7, 2008

TTT

Hi All. Well yesterday was the Fiesta Island Team Time Trial. I may of made mention in an earlier post that I wasn't looking forward to competing in this event. I had commited to it a couple of months ago, and at the time was really pumped to do this race, seeing as how I love to time trial, but as the event drew nearer, my excitement began to wane. Alot of this was due to the fact that I was only able to get a couple of practices in where I actually drafted behind another bike in the aero position. For those of you out there who've never experienced this, let me tell you, it's a little unnerving at first. Couple that with the fact of my lack of motivation since the Mt. Charleston Hill Climb, and the 4am wake up call this race involved, and I was dreading it to say the least. So race day starts with the 4am alarm, I drag myself out of bed thinking, "didn't I just do this last week?". Grab a quick bowl of Muesli and a coffee, and head out the door at 4:45 for Fiesta Island. Skip ahead to the start. 7:07am, and we're on the start line. Oddly enough I'm feeling rather relaxed for sitting on the start line and about to begin an hour of extreme discomfort racing in a format I'm completely unexperienced in. The starter says go, and we're off! I immediately take my place in line and we go. I'm amazed at how quickly I adapt to getting on a wheel in the aero position and being totally comfortable doing it. Our race went soooo smooth. No mishaps, nice pulls, a good high pace for our collective abilities. Finished the 40km in a time of 57:14, for 5th place. Not bad for a team that didn't practice once together. My legs felt so good, and I'm sure I would of been able to go faster. That was the hardest part of the day for me, knowing that I could have picked up the pace, but in doing so, run the risk of breaking the group's flow apart, which would of lead to disaster. Needless to say, after all the grumbling about not wanting to do this event, as Arnold says, "I'll be back!" And what did I do to celebrate? In & Out Burger........a double-double, hamburger, fries, and a chocolate shake!!! Let me tell you, after eating healthy for a very long time, eating this kind of food to reward yourself is no reward at all. Sure it tasted good while I was consuming it, but I felt like crap immediately afterwards. Two races left on my calendar, both TT's at Santiago Canyon. First week of October and November, so this allows me a little time to relax on the training, and then get back on the TT bike a couple of weeks out and get ready to hit it. Compact cranks went on the road bike yesterday, and I'm anxious to get out today and see how they feel:) Until next time.....

No comments: