Monday, February 6, 2012

Fiesta...


Hi All! Well, Sunday has come and gone, and yesterday's 4:15 wake-up call was a brutal reminder of why I stopped racing the Fiesta Island TT Series! I know I'm whining, but hey, I don't get paid to race my bike, and the upside to that is I get to choose what events I want to enter:)

I kept the week fairly light coming in to Sunday, not wanting to overwork the legs, leave something in the tank for the 20k TT. This last Saturday was the Boulevard RR, and for the first time in the last five years I didn't race it. It felt a bit strange to be home Saturday and not out there. Boulevard was the first race I ever competed in, and it sort of became a tradition to race it every year since, even though I never place well out there. I almost drove out Saturday at the last second to compete in the 35+ category, (the only open category left), but I just kept reminding myself to stick to the new plan, focus on the events that I want to do well in, and don't deviate.

I rolled down to Fiesta Sunday morning with absolutely no intentions of competing, by that I mean I was going strictly to run the course to help establish my FTP, so I have a better idea of how I need to keep training throughout the year. If I placed well great, if not no biggie. One thing I knew, the race was going to hurt! I hadn't raced since July, and anyone who's raced knows that no matter how hard or intense you train, you just can't duplicate racing, and the intensity that brings.

I arrived at the island around 5:30, checked in at registration, parked, set up the trainer, and proceeded to warm-up. I was entered in a new category this year, the Merckx Category, that's road bikes only, no clip-on aerobars, no TT helmets, basically a straight road bike set up. I did have a goal in mind as far as the average wattage I wanted to hold, and was confident I may come close with how strong I've been riding.

My start time was 7:14:00, I rolled in to the start gate, the countdown begin, and off I went. I settled in to a nice hard pace, not too hard, but not too easy. I kept looking down at the power meter, and wasn't pleased at all with what I was seeing. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to put out the numbers I was expecting, numbers that I routinely put out on the trainer during my weekly intervals. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused about that and am seeking out some advice on why this is?

In the end, although I'm not too happy about my power numbers, and a little confused, I managed to place 1st, and win my first race of the year! A couple of friends that raced with me, Fiesta being their first ever TT, placed 5th and 6th, great showing for their first run on the "Island"!

Up next...the Peninsula Hill Climb TT up in Ranchos Palos Verdes. I did this event in January 2011 and really enjoyed it. A 6-mile uphill TT. I managed to place 2nd then, losing to an extremely strong rider who placed well all year in various other races. I'll let you know how it shakes down this year:)

I hope all is well with you, until next time...

No comments: