Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tour de Food...


Hi All! Well, my wife and I just got back from our mini vacation Sunday evening, and all is well, and a great time was had by all! Las Vegas, Lake Havasu, and Palm Desert were on schedule, and we managed to get them all in, and have fun along the way. I've discovered that I definitely have a thing for food. As you know, my last post was focused on what I was going to eat on the trip, and that turned out to be the focus for sure!

I'm sure owning a restaurant for the last eight years has played a large part in the reason I've become a self-proclaimed "foodie". My gluttanous adventure really began Tuesday afternoon with a trip to a local Mexican cafe, where I've heard they serve up a great street taco, and given the fact that I'm a competitve cyclist, I've always reframed from trying them out. The verdict...well worth the wait! On to Wednesday, the first official day of our vacation. We hit the road around noon, and made our way up the 15 headed towards Vegas. We reached Hesperia where I decided that a trip to In & Out Burger seemed liked a good idea. Tasted great, but not worth the gluttony.

We arrived in Vegas, made our way to Treasure Island Hotel to check in, cleaned up, and made our way by foot to Ceasar's Palace and Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill. Now this is a restaurant I've been wanting to go to for years, and just have never been able to for one reason or another. Again, well worth the wait! My Ancho Chile rubbed Pork Tenderloin literally melted in my mouth! I won't even get in to the ridiculuosly good Chocolate Corn Bread Pudding! Dinner was at 6, the follow up Veggie Burger, Onion Rings and Fried were at 11! I could go on, but you get the idea.

Needless to say, I took six straight days off the bike, and managed to gain exactly six pounds in that time! Not bad really, considering the excessive amounts of calories I took in over that time. Yesterday, it was back on the bike for a little 45-minute easy jot around town to get my legs use to the feeling of pedaling again. I figured I wasn't going to lose that much fitness in six days, but my legs would definitely soften up a bit. Today was 90-minutes on the bike, pushing it harder, and I could definitely feel the effort in the legs! I've also been dieting to the extreme as of yesterday, taking in very little calories, and attempting to lose the six pounds I gained this week before the Palomar Challenge this Saturday. My engine is good, but there's no need to be carrying any extra weight up the mountain if not necessary.

Hope all is well, until next time...

No comments: