Sunday, June 20, 2010

Palomar Challenge...


Hi All! Well, another event is in the books. I competed in the 2010 Palomar Challenge yesterday. This is an event I had heard about over the last few years, but for one reason or another, had never competed in. After the State RR Championships, I was feeling pretty good with where my fitness was and figured I might as well look for something else to compete in while I still had the fitness. With hill climbs being my favorite events, I decided to do a little searching on the internet and see what I could come up with.

Sure enough there it was...the 2010 Palomar Challenge, being held in less then two weeks after States, and just a week after my vacation. I figured why not? I checked last years results, and saw that the winner ran a 48:26, for the 11.5 miles up Palomar's East Grade Road. I've never timed myself up East Grade, so I really didn't have an accurate gauge as to how I compared, but knew that to finish high, or win, I needed to at least break fifty minutes.

Needless to say, that's exactly what I did...49:56, for 2nd place overall. Could of ran better? Yes! Didn't think it was necessary to win. I was pacing SDBC's Herb Johnson, thinking he was the leader of the race, not realizing the leader on the road was somewhere up the road out of sight! He finished in 44:56, exactly five minutes faster then me! I felt great yesterday, and had I seen the leader, I'm pretty sure I could of held his pace. Oh well, that's racing as they say! Here's a link to the results...2010 Palomar Challenge Results

That's all for now. Hope all is well, until next time...

No comments: