Sunday, May 16, 2010

Good week...


Hi All! Not too much new and exciting to report, and I'm a little pinched for time, so this week basically involved some good training rides, one that left me completely drained for two straight days! I took Monday off completely from any activity, (except for work), and decided to go to the gym Tuesday for a core workout. I figured since I have this four week break until the State RR Championship race, I might as well squeeze in some gym workouts.

The workout was good, and the next day I could really feel it in my abs. I also decided the next day, (Wednesday), that I was going to go do hill repeats after work. Not just regular hills repeats, but big-ring repeats. This is something I don't often do, actually something I've only done once before. My hill of choice for repeats for a couple of reasons is San Elijo Road. One, it's close to home, and two, it's length and gradient offer a perfect venue for repeats. I usually throw in one run up Twin Oaks Valley Road, (no exception Wednesday), but have decided it's a little too steep for decent repeats.

Needless to say, I did six runs up San Elijo, (4x in the big-ring), one run up Twin Oaks, and one run up to Double Peak Park. 32 miles total, 5290 feet of climbing, for 2-1/2 hours. I was gassed when I returned home!!! I've never felt so tired after a training ride, or even a race for that matter. The next day was even worse. I still can't quite figure out what caused me to be so fatigued. I'm not sick, my fitness is good. The only thing I could come up with is the fact the repeats were done in the big-ring which is extremely difficult for a skinny guy like me, and my weight has been on the low side lately. My goal with these big-ring repeats is to build much needed power in my legs, something I've always lacked. Hope they work, because they sure wear me out!

Hope all is well, until next time...

No comments: